(BY THAKUR BHAKTIVINODE)
- ALAS, for those that spend their days
In festive mirth and joy!
The dazzling deadly liquid forms
Their heart for e’er employ!!
- The shining bottles charm their eyes
And draw their heart’s embrace!
The slaves of wine can never rise
From what we call disgrace!
- Was man intended to be
A brute in work and heart?
Should man the Lord of all around
From common sense depart?
- Man’s glory is in common sense
Dictating us the grace,
That man is made to live and love
The beauteous Heaven’s embrace!
- The flesh is not our own alas!
The mortal frame a chain; -
The soul confined for former wrongs
Should try to rise again!!
- Why then this childish play in that
Which cannot be our own,
Which falls within a hundred years,
As if a rose ablown!
- Our life is but a rosy hue
To go ere long to nought!
The soul alone would last for e’er
With good or evil frought!!
- How deep the thought of times to be?
How grave the aspect looks?
And wrapt in awe become, Oh! I
When reading Nature’s books!
- Man’s life to him a problem dark!
A screen both left and right!
No soul hath come to tell us what
Exists beyond our sight!!
- But then a voice, how deep and soft,
Within ourself is left; -
Man! Man! Thou art immortal Soul!
Thee Death can never melt!!
- For thee thy Sire on High has kept
A store of bliss above,
To end of time, Thou art Oh! His
Who wants but purest Love.
- Oh Love! Thy power and spell benign
Now melt my soul to God!
How can my earthly words describe
That feeling soft and broad!!
- Enjoyment - sorrow, - what but lots
To which the flesh is heir?
The soul that sleeps alone concludes
In them it hath a share!!
- And then! my friends no more enjoy
Nor weep! for all below; -
The women, wine and flesh of beasts
No love on thee bestow!
- But thine to love thy brother man
And give thyself to God,
And God doeth know your wages fair; -
This fact is true and broad!!
- Forget the past that sleeps, and ne’er
The future dream at all,
But act in times that are with thee
And progress thee shall call!!
- But tell me not in reasoning cold,
The soul is made alone
By earth’s mechanic, lifeless rules
And to destruction prone!
- My God who gave us life and all
Alone the Soul can kill,
Or give it all the joys above
His promise to fulfil!
- So push thy onward march O Soul!
Against an evil deed
That stands with soldiers - hate and lust!
A hero be indeed!!
- Maintain thy post in spirit world
As firmly as you can,
Let never matter push thee down,
O stand heroic man!
- O Sharagrahi Vaishnab soul!
Thou art an angel fair:
Lead, lead me on to Vrindaban
And spirit’s power declare!!
- There rests my Soul from matter free
Upon my Lover’s arms,
Eternal peace and Spirit’s love
Are all my chanting charms!!